Thursday, January 1, 2009

I Resolve to Read For Free!

Hello, I'm Reading Diva and I love to read. I was a bit of an antisocial child who was more comfortable with her nose in a book than on the monkey bars. I found a kindred spirit in Roald Dahl's Matilda (even though I didn't actually learn to read until late in the First Grade). My love of reading was enriched by my mother, an English teacher, even though she always told me I would strain my eyes from reading in bed so much (and now I have the world's worst vision, sigh).

I went to college and took a whole lot of English courses. Ultimately I decided to major in Political Science instead (sigh) partly because I didn't want to take a course on Milton (ironic, eh?). I later went to law school, thus delaying my plan to write "the great American novel."

All the while I've continued to read as many books as I can get my hands on. This was a hobby I spent a great deal of money on as I happen to be a very quick reader. During a year in which I commuted through Grand Central Terminal every day, I stopped at Posman Books at least once a week to buy a new book (ca-ching). A new job had me working on Wall Street, devilishly close to the iconic Strand, where I discovered the joy of used books (I could buy more!). I spent so much time in that underground cavern that regular messages were left by my family on my cell phone saying "you're not answering so you're probably at Strand."

Several years ago, owing to my student status, I finally got a library card and stopped buying books all together. Since then there's been no turning back. The only books I now add to my collection have been given to me. I used to write a blog where, among other things, I reviewed books I had read. It was so long ago that the word "blog" wasn't even in the Internet lexicon yet - it was a live journal. I've decided now is a good time to start up that type of writing again, with an important proviso:

I will not spend any money on acquiring new books.

Every book I review will be borrowed - from the public library, a friend, of from Freecycle. I may even look into Paperback Swap and Internet downloads as well. One of my New Year's Resolution is to read more books and share my opinions on them with others. Here we go!

2 comments:

  1. I have a box of books you're welcome to. They're fluff for the most part, but some of it is interesting fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much! I am moving soon so I am trying not to take on any more books. I love fluff though!

    ReplyDelete